Crime Analyst I
$55,607.00 – $76,886.00 Annually
City Hall, 350 South 5th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sun. 04/22/18 11:59 PM Central Time
Open to the public
Print Job Information | Apply
Position Description and Job Duties Benefits Supplemental Questions
The Crime Analyst I will perform crime analysis and mapping work in support of Minneapolis Police Department crime prevention and investigation activities.
• Compile and review criminal trend and pattern data to help identify the time, place, and characteristics of involved parties, modus operandi, and other data which can help investigators and help in directing deployment of staff.
• Perform tactical, strategic, operational analysis and enhance crime maps by incorporating information from the CAPRS ‘police report system’ and other sources to identify patterns and trends of criminal activity in the City within the assigned area.
• Map crime helping to identify where crimes occurs and where ‘hot spots’ are so that appropriate response is possible and for use by investigators to help focus serial criminal patterns.
• Perform systematic studies of crime and disorder problems (demographic, spatial, temporal factors) by reviewing police incident and arrests.
• Provide concise and detailed activity reports about criminal activities and crime statistics in order to identify and forecast crime patterns and trends.
• Detect and describe tactical, administrative, and strategic links, patterns, and trends in crime.
• Update maps and correct errors on maps as needed.
• Perform statistical and analytical research involving the use of computer applications, random statistical samplings, correlation, and probability studies, etc., and maintain databases for the purpose of creating analytical reports.
• Communicate with the public, other City employees and outside law enforcement personnel to collect crime information.
• Use electronic spreadsheets, desktop publishing, statistical applications in support of public safety efforts of the police department.
• Develop, interpret, and distribute statistical reports on crime patterns.
• Produce written documents such as reports and crime analysis bulletins with clearly organized thoughts to disseminate crime statistics, suspect information and Modus Operandi patterns.
• Facilitate the weekly m-stat meeting by providing maps and crime pattern presentations and assisting staff in presenting information.
• Prepare and provide specialized reports on operations and policies as requested.
• Provide training in the use of map making software and crime analysis to other MPD staff.
• Lead and assists other staff in the approach and design of analytical review and the use of programs and computer technology to complete projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice, Data Science or equivalent
Two years of relevant experience related to duties described above.
An equivalent combination of education and experience MAY be considered.
Eligibility to be considered for the position will be determined by a rating of training and experience and/or oral examination(100%). It is very important to fully describe your education and work experience as it relates to this opening in your online application. The City of Minneapolis Human Resource office reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The City has determined that a thorough Police Department background check/investigation, criminal background check, and/or qualifications check may be necessary for positions with this job title. Applicants will be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING:
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
ALL applicants MUST submit online:
•City of Minneapolis online application (www.minneapolismn.gov/jobs)
•Cover Letter and resume
•Response to the screening questions
Resumes are not being accepted by email, and not in place of an official City of Minneapolis application. Applicants failing to follow the process will not be considered.
This position is represented by the Minneapolis Professional Employees Association (MPEA).
Eligible List will expire three (3) months after being established.
• Master’s degree in Criminal Justice, Criminology or Computer Technology is preferred.
• Mathematical aptitude, functional reasoning, and expertise in data collection, data manipulation, statistics, theory, and research.
• Strong knowledge of COGNOS Business Intelligence Software is preferred.
• Knowledge of crime pattern analysis techniques, including statistical, geospatial, victim-o-logical, and epidemiological research and practice.
• Ability to suggest alternative solutions to crime analysis problems.
• Knowledge of Statistical program languages; and date processing methods, procedures, and equipment.
• Ability to work under urgent demands, priorities, and varied requests to meet frequent deadlines from police, elected officials, and community members.
• Familiar with Tableau interactive data visualization product.
• Ability to use web based tools to publish and share work.
• Ability to explain complex ideas and criminological aspects of behavior clearly, to many different types of individuals.
• Knowledge of modern office software and GIS mapping software.
• Knowledge of crime nomenclature, terminology, and police and criminal vernacular.
• Good knowledge of Police Operations in order to assist other MPD Staff with analytical projects.