Chief Harteau’s Statement on Hennepin County Attorney’s Decision Regarding Officer Involved Shooting on April 4th

November 7, 2016 (MINNEAPOLIS) “The evidence in this case is clear and I fully support the officers who were involved. While every situation is unique, the officers responding to this call faced an extremely difficult and quickly evolving situation. Their heroic actions saved the life of an innocent person.”


Hennepin County Attorney’s Office Statement:

Minneapolis police cleared in killing of armed man

The two Minneapolis police officers who fatally shot Raul Marquez-Heraldes as he was stabbing another man will not be charged with any crimes, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced today.

Officer Eric Malmberg, and Officer David Robins were the first ones into the apartment at 2120 Minnehaha Ave. after police heard a man inside the apartment calling for help, forcing them to kick open the locked door. They saw Marquez-Heraldes standing over the apartment resident, Alan Coleman. There was blood everywhere and Marquez-Heraldes was holding onto the handle of the knife which had been plunged into Coleman’s back, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s report on the April 4 incident.

“All of the police officers at the scene acted correctly and bravely,” Freeman said. “When they first arrived and Mr. Marquez-Heraldes ran towards them with a knife, they ran behind a door without using deadly force. When more officers arrived and they realized they had a hostage situation, they tried to talk him into surrendering. It was only when they saw him stabbing the hostage that they opened fire in order to save a life.”

Coleman was rushed out of the apartment by police officers with the knife still in his back. At North Memorial Medical Center he was treated for a collapsed lung from the stabbing and a gunshot wound to his hand. He spent six days in the hospital, according to the report.

The 50-year-old Marquez-Heraldes died at Hennepin County Medical Center at 6:19 a.m. April 4. He had been shot multiple times, according to the report. He also had methamphetamine in his blood at levels sufficient to produce psychotic behavior, including paranoid delusions, the report stated.

Marquez-Heraldes’ had been panicked since Friday, April 1, said his wife Gloria Mestizo. The next day, Mestizo told her husband that he must go somewhere where he felt safe or she would take him to the hospital. On Sunday evening, he asked her to drop him at a friend’s apartment at 2120 Minnehaha, according to the report.

His friend, Manuel Sanchez, allowed him to stay the night. However, sometime between 2 and 3 a.m. April 4th, Sanchez heard Marquez-Heraldes go out into the hallway and he went out to get him. Back inside the apartment, he pushed Sanchez, so Sanchez ordered him to leave. Then the apartment manager, Terry Haigler, told Marquez-Heraldes he had to leave the building, according to the report.

Marquez-Heraldes told Haigler he needed help, that someone was trying to kill his wife and that there were two men in a van outside the apartment with a rifle. Haigler went outside, saw a van but no one was in it. When he reported that to him, Marquez-Heraldes insisted there were people in the van, so Haigler called police, the report states.

Officer Jeffrey Perkins, a 28-year veteran arrived with the officer he was field training, Brian Graupner. Haigler let them in. Marquez-Heraldes suddenly opened an apartment door, said something about the “Mexican mafia,” pulled out a knife and moved towards the officers. Graupner had his gun out but Perkins pulled him away and they both ran outside the apartment building, holding the door closed as Marquez-Heraldes tried to get at them, according to the report.

Marquez-Heraldes forced his way into a different apartment and more officers were called. Officer Eric Malmberg took over because he was trained in crisis intervention. Marquez-Heraldes refused to come out and Coleman told Malmberg that he was not free to leave.

After they shot Marquez-Heraldes, several officers moved into the bathroom where he had tumbled into the bathtub. However, as the officers reached to pull him out of the tub, Marquez-Heraldes began growling and swinging his arms. He attacked Officer Joshua Stewart and both men fell to the floor. When the officers finally handcuffed Marquez-Heraldes, Officer Stewart noticed the chest wound, cut off Marquez-Heraldes’ shirt and began administering first aid, according to the report.

NOTE: The full report and most of the evidence is posted on the Hennepin County Attorney’s website, www.hennepinattorney.org.