Salary: $19.13 - $22.15 Hourly
$39,790.40 - $46,072.00 Annually
Job Type: Part-time
Supplemental documents will not be accepted by email, fax or in person. All documents must be uploaded and submitted with your on-line application.
A Community Service Officer (CSO) works approximately 20-30 hours per week in the Minneapolis Police Department up to three years while enrolled as a student in an approved, two-year law enforcement program and/or working toward completion of MN Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) licensing requirements. CSO's assist the police department and community by promoting intercommunication, understanding and cooperation between department personnel and the diverse communities of the City of Minneapolis. The CSO is a civilian position which has the possibility of promotion to a full time Police Officer position.
NOTE: This exam is being offered to establish a list to fill vacancies as they may occur.
Information Sessions (optional):
The Minneapolis Police Department has prepared a detailed information session which you are highly encouraged to attend. Attendance is optional for all applicants or potential applicants. Registration is NOT required. We will highlight and discuss the following:
· Application process and educational requirements
· Fitness Assessment details
· Background Investigation information
· Oral Exam expectations
· Medical, psychological, and drug & alcohol testing
· CSO Academy and Education Program
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
(Including but not limited to)
· Assists patrol officers in non-enforcement activities
· Responds to citizen requests for service
· Maintains police vehicles and equipment as assigned
· Picks up and delivers correspondence for the department and community organizations
· Identifies and reports criminal activities
· Assists citizens in identifying crime prevention techniques
· Recovers abandoned property
· Assists in traffic control of special events, major fires, parades and accidents
· Assists department officers or other agencies in providing transportation as requested
· Must pass periodic performance evaluations
· Must be at least 18 years of age by December 3, 2018
· Must be accepted/enrolled into a law enforcement program at a regionally accredited college/university (not required to be registered for classes).
**NOTE: TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT REQUIRE ENROLLMENT INTO THE FIRST AVAILABLE SESSION, AFTER HIRE, AND CONTINUOUS ENROLLMENT (TO INCLUDE SUMMER SESSIONS) AS A FULL-TIME STUDENT IN AN APPROVED TWO-YEAR LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING PROGRAM AND COMPLETION OF THE LAW ENFORCMENT DEGREE WITHIN THREE (3) YEARS OF HIRE. ***Must maintain a grade point average of 2.5 *** After successful completion of the degree, applicants must also complete the P.O.S.T. Board requirements and department testing to be eligible to promote to the position of Police Officer (Recruit). Failure to do so will result in release from employment with the Minneapolis Police Department. Also, the MPD will assess CSO promotion suitability after completion of academic training, based on, but not limited to, field performance, assignment rotations, and supervisor recommendation.
· Must continue employment with the Minneapolis Police Department for a period of three years following hire as a Police Officer or pay back the cost of tuition paid by the department.
· Must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
· Applicants must NOT have taken and passed the MN Board of P.O.S.T. licensing exam.
· Must not have a felony conviction
· Relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
· Must have physical ability to run and chase suspects, wrestle and subdue suspects, jump and crawl over and under objects and lift and drag heavy objects.
· Must participate in and complete the fitness entrance assessment.
· Vision no poorer than 20/100 without correction in the poorer eye; correctable to 20/40 in both eyes. Ability to distinguish the colors red, yellow and green.
· Possess standard hearing average threshold without correction or no worse than a 40-decible loss on the average at 500, 1,000 and 3,000 Hertz frequencies in the better ear.
· Must be deemed medically and psychologically fit and successfully pass a drug and alcohol screening prior to hire.
Selection Process and Dates:
Any one or any combination of an evaluation of related education/experience/screening question responses, fitness exam, oral exam, etc. may be utilized. It is to an applicant's advantage to be as thorough in the online application as possible.
Applications and resumes are screened for completeness and requirements. The City of Minneapolis reserves the right to select and limit the number of candidates at any point in the exam process, based on a review of application materials. Qualified candidates, as determined by Human Resources, will be invited to fitness assessment. Qualified candidates will be notified by email to self-schedule. Candidates must attend and complete all components of the fitness entrance assessment.
The fitness standards are:
- Vertical Jump (13 inches)
- 300 Meter Run (82 Seconds)
- Bench Press (102 lbs. Or 60% of your body weight) OR Push Ups (20)
- Sit Ups (25)
- 1.5 Mile Run (15 Minutes 44 Seconds)
· Selected candidates will be contacted to schedule a background investigation, conducted by MPD, which may take up to three (3) months to complete.
· Qualified candidates for the oral exam will be notified by email to self-schedule.
· The eligible list is established by Human Resources after all testing components are completed.
· Final offers are made inviting candidates to the CSO Academy.
Candidates unable to complete any portion of this process will not be eligible to move forward in the hiring process.
· For more information about this position and the Minneapolis Police Department: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/police/recruiting/index.htm
· For more information on P.O.S.T. requirements: https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post/becoming-a-peaceofficer/Pages/default.aspx
This position is represented by AFSCME - AFSCME General Unit (#9)
Applications may be filed online at: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/minneapolismn/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=2193508