Filing Crime & Accident Reports

Not sure what to do. Keep reading. 

Is this an emergency? If so, call 9-1-1! If not, click here.


Call 9-1-1 to:

  • -Report a situation which requires a police officer at the scene (e.g. assaults, kidnapping, burglaries, domestic disputes, terroristic threats, violation of protection orders, biased crimes, parental kidnapping, motor vehicle theft, theft from person, auto accidents with injuries, etc.).
  • -Summon an ambulance for medical assistance.
  • -Report a fire.
  • -Report a crime in progress.
  • -Report suspicious, criminal activity in progress (e.g. alarms, shots fired, shouts for help, sounds of glass breaking, unfamiliar person carrying items from a house).


When NOT to call 9-1-1:

  • -Do not call for directions.
  • -Do not call for information about animal control issues.
  • -Do not call to find out if someone is in jail. The Hennepin County Sheriff Jail Roster is available online for this information. You may also call the jail at (612) 348-5112.
  • -Do not call to report city issues that are not of a police, fire or medical nature. Refer to the City Services Directory for the appropriate number or simply call 311.
  • -Do not call your local precinct to request a police response. All dispatching is done through the Minneapolis Emergency Communications Center.